I suggest pick whatever’s the closest to the truth for you. Socialworkdegreeguide.com is an advertising-supported site. No one chooses social work as a career with the hopes of making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. For example, maybe you had a loved one who battled with cancer, and you decided you wanted to become a cancer researcher. Ask a social worker for the reason they chose the social work profession and the standard answer is “I want to help people.” I think this is the expected answer. They aid people in substantive ways, helping them through major difficulties, such as poverty, substance abuse, and addiction. The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well-being and help meet basic and complex needs of all people, with a particular focus on those who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty. Social Work is a passion, a drive to help others and to make a … Social workers can also choose the type of work they prefer. I had a past professor who told me I should apply for an economics internship because I was doing well in his economics class. As evident as this may seem, helping to change lives is one of the most important and rewarding elements of going into social work. I have done rallies, held seminars, distributed leaflets, and even utilized social … Why Choose the Social Work Profession? I took my first biology class my second year and fell in love with it. Why Choose Social Work as a Major? However, it’s perfectly fine to say a friend or family member recommended a certain job or profession, and you found you like it a lot. I had a great professor who made it really fun, and he had previously worked in Big Pharma so he had a lot of great stories of what it’s actually like to work as a Scientist. The interviewers want to hear that you care for their institution, and for the target group.I suggest you to talk about your desire to help people—the particular group of people you’d work … You just can’t seem like you’re miserable or have no interest whatsoever. This is what the person asking wants to hear … Amber Johnson. These professionals do not work merely as government employees. Do I Need a Master’s to be a Social Worker? In their day-to-day work, they take on many other roles, too. Another reason I am interested in social work because it allows me to be an advocate… Note: I mentioned this earlier, but just to make it clear – you do not have to say you’ve loved this career forever. Or slack off. There’s really no “bad” answer for how you initially heard about a career path, as long as you follow up by saying you’ve become more and more interested in it as you’ve learned more. No, not to help people, but to make a difference in the lives of the people all around me. perhaps some are good people, but the bad they do and damage they cause parents and more importantly children negate any good that is done. You’ll just cost yourself jobs. How to Answer “Why Did You Choose … Why do you want to become a social worker? Yet these same individuals, have proven to be so naturally creative, … Affordable Online Master’s in Social Work, Affordable Online Bachelor’s in Social Work. Social workers … I chose social work because I believe that there is no other job that will give me as … I’m going to give you 8 sample reasons for why you chose this career or job below. If you want help preparing for other must-know interview questions, we have a detailed guide here. They want to make a tangible difference in people's lives, and social work is one of the most effective professions in helping others. Any personal story for why you care about a topic or are fascinated by a topic will make a good answer for why you chose this job you’re interviewing for. How Long Does It Take to Become a Social Worker? Social work is evolving to be more than what it’s been … My need comes from … There are so many possibilities that go unnoticed — and that's what makes it amazing.". Only use this if it’s relevant to your career- like teaching, science, medicine, etc. This isn’t an interview question you want to be caught off-guard by, or have no response for. I decided to choose this major and graduated three years later. You can certainly come up with your own story, too. none are good answers. Clinical social workers are the biggest group of professionally trained providers who offer counseling and therapy services. "There has been no greater privilege than being allowed to be the listening ear or shoulder someone needed to lean on.". Social workers make a difference in individuals' lives, which also leads to change at the systemic level. But if it’s accurate, this is a great reason to give for why you chose this profession. "The field of social work has a variety of career opportunities based on your population of interest. They want to see actual job-related reasons you’re excited to come work for them. My passion stems from years of abuse and neglect. Maybe a professor told you that you’re really talented in a certain area and said you’d do well taking it up as a career. Etc. But if so, this is a great answer to give for “why did you choose this career?”. If you’re unsure about the career you chose, you can go home and talk with friends or family and come up with a plan for what to do. Social Work is a … If you are looking for a career with diversity and meaning, consider social work. But if you say “I chose biology because my friend told me I’d make $100K in less than 4 years,” you’re not getting hired most likely. If you're considering becoming a social worker, this article outlines five reasons why social work might be the career for you. Living in a area which is affected by poverty, drugs, high crime rates and bad education has motivated me to become a social worker so that I may help the community in improving on the issues I have mentioned and help people live their lives the best way possible and improve the society and environment they live … You have the honor of being with people through some very emotional situations," Morris said. In this article, we’re going to look at good and bad answers for why you chose this job or career, and word-for-word sample answers for, “why did you choose this career?”. Then, they want to figure out whether you enjoy the field. Why I chose to become a social work major is a question in which I feel I can sum up in one sentence. The key is to end your answer by saying you discovered you really enjoy this job. So sound excited! So it’s a good idea to think about this when you begin your job search no matter what. social workers exist for one reason. We all go to work for money – the hiring manager gets it. Maybe you read about how software is changing the world, and you decided to major in Computer Science and become a programmer. Many social workers choose the field exactly for these reasons. The folllowing sample essay on Why Do You Want To Be A Social Worker Essay discusses it in detail, offering basic facts and pros and cons associated with it. That’s a great reason for choosing a career or job. Social work makes for an incredibly fulfilling yet emotionally taxing career choice. It is also a fast-growing career that can offer you many opportunities for employment. Why Choose the Social Work Profession? Typically, people who want to be social workers want to go into that profession because they like to help people. Getting paid well ranked last. I want to be a social worker because I have a passion and need to help people. I really … Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Why I want to be a Social Worker On a normal day in my life, I intermingle with the most dangerous and devious criminal minds in Jamaica! Few people have the insight into these issues that social workers do. So you DO need to seem like this is a career that you care about it and want to be in. I get it (and the hiring manager does too) – work is just one part of life. Or maybe you read about how environmental engineering is going to be an important field in the future, and decided it’s something you’re passionate about helping out in. Everyone I have met taking a Bachelor’s in Social Work entered into … They can apply their expertise to make recommendations to judges or advocate to lawmakers. I get it (and the hiring manager does too) – work is just one part of life. "Social work is one of the more consistent careers with the flexibility to pivot and grow as you go.". If ever there was a way to … If you don’t seem to care at all, you’re more likely to quit when things get tough. So to conclude, I’m going to give you some things you should NOT say…. It is a diverse career When you train to be a social worker, you are trained in all aspects of the profession, from mental health to child protection. Don’t feel pressure to say this if it’s not true. The impact you have on each person's life will stick with you, too. Those obstacles force social workers to confront their shortcomings. Any personal story can make a good explanation for choosing a field of work. That’s how to answer, “why did you choose this career or job?” in your interviews. Because if you seem like you care, you’ll work harder and overcome challenges. At the end of the day though, I love what I do and new people who meet me when they ask what I do say things like "ah, I can totally see that. Don’t feel pressure on this and don’t lie. Come up with some other reasons for choosing this job and wanting to work in this industry. While those aren’t the only good sample reasons, they’re some of the most common and safest reasons to give. Social work is the helping profession. "We can be therapists, doulas, policy analysts, community health advocates, diversity trainers and facilitators, juvenile court liaisons, special needs teachers, and more," White said. The number of populations is vast and are based on ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexuality, disability, and location," Woods explained. Is Getting a Master’s in Social Work Worth It? that is to steal peoples children for adoption & foster profits. Aspiring social workers do not need to worry about spending fruitless months in search of a job. If you would like to tell us your story, please send it in an email, with a photo, to the Bulletin Editor. Employers expect you to have specific reasons for choosing this career or job. © 2020 SocialWorkDegreeGuide.com, a Red Ventures Company. Copyright © 2020 Career Sidekick, LLC | Privacy | Disclaimer, “Why Did You Choose This Career?” Sample Answers, Sample Cover Letter With No Experience in Field (And How to Write Yours), How to Explain Gaps in Employment (With Examples), “why are you applying for this position?”, How to answer “why did you apply for this position?”, Answering, “why do you think you can do well in this job?”. What Are the Highest Paying Specialities in Social Work? Social workers often possess a deeply ingrained sense of altruism, focusing on others without considering themselves. The person or group has a problem that may arise from many different factors, and lastly finding a solution to help solve those problems so that person or group can live a better life. "Within a career in social work, you play an essential role in the bigger picture of how our society treats its most vulnerable people.". White also writes on her travel blog. The answer is quite simple. You just have the warm social work look about you" LOL. You just need to sound excited to be doing this work now. We’d go to the museum and buy science kits and toys from the gift shop, so even when I was 8 or 9 years old I was experimenting and learning, and I ended up loving it. Maybe a past employer let you try a new job function and you found you like it a lot. The more you seem to like a job or career, the more employers will want to hire you! Or you can check out a couple of similar questions to practice below: If you have interviews coming up and don’t want to leave anything to chance, I’ve created a new guide where you can copy my exact step-by-step method for getting job offers. I chose to be a social worker because I want to empower people, battle social injustice and create a positive difference. Few occupations can match the varied work environments available through social work, which offers a broad range of opportunities and settings. Even if that’s true! Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. Did your parents have scientific careers? Maybe you saw a documentary or even an online video (like YouTube) that highlighted a certain career or profession, and got you interested. For example don’t say, “I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was in college so my father told me I should choose biology.” You need to sound like a self-starter, at the very least. This is also true when employers ask, “why do you want this job?” or “why are you applying for this position?”, “I entered college and was still undecided on my major. Social work offers careers in which professionals can use their interests and strengths to mold their jobs productively. To read the essay’s introduction, body and … 5 Reasons to Consider a Career in Social Work, 5 Careers in Social Work in Child Welfare, 5 Careers For Those Committed to Social Justice, 5 of the Most Important Core Social Work Values, Social Work Scholarship for Undergraduate or Graduate Students, Meet Ellie: 2017 Social Work Scholarship Winner and International Mental Health Advocate, 36 Most Affordable Accredited MSW Programs in the South East 2018, The 14 Most Affordable Accredited MSW Programs in the North East 2018, 35 Best Value Christian Colleges with CSWE-accredited Programs, 20 High-value BSW Degrees in Metro Areas with Top Salaries for Social Workers 2018, Top 10 Online Social Work Degree Programs, Top 20 Best Online MSW in Children/Youth/Families, Great Scholarships for Social Work Students, The 30 Most Influential Social Workers Alive Today, The 25 Most Amazing Community Arts Projects, 10 Great Writers Who Battled Alcohol Addiction. It doesn’t have to be a health-related example, either. Some clinical social workers are generalists and they treat clients … "As a child welfare worker, I have had to examine my values, beliefs, and unconscious biases throughout the course of my career.". "Social workers have always been the voice of marginalized people in society," Morris said. You don’t need to be some child prodigy. "You can have a significant impact in people's lives in different but meaningful ways. "Because of its sensitive nature, the world will continuously need social workers to address the world's issues," said Sojourner White, a second-year master of social work (MSW) student at the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis. That’s fine! Now that you know why they ask why you chose this career or this type of job, let’s talk about how to answer. You can get more details here. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the social work field to grow by 11% from 2018-28, a much faster pace than average. you have enemys mr & ms power hungry social workers… "No matter your hobbies, interests, and life experiences, each can be used to help deliver unique and effective service to your clients," Woods said. Or come in late. Don’t just explain how you originally found this career. "We can work domestically or internationally," White added. Sojourner White, a second-year MSW student at the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis, focuses on international social and economic development with a specialization in social entrepreneurship. You can give a wide range of reasons when they ask, “why did you choose this career?”… so there isn’t just one correct answer. Transferring within a company or taking on a new set of responsibilities in a past company is a great reason for how you discovered and chose your current career path. Employers will love that type of story as an explanation for why you chose your career. I want to become a social worker so I can provide direction to those who may not be able to get it from other sources, just like I have done for various people throughout my life. 11 Final Interview Questions to Prepare For, How to Answer “Are You a Leader or Follower?” (Interview Question), Answers to “What Do You Like Least About Your Job?”. The fundamental mission of the social work profession is to serve people needing assistance and to work to make social … Since then I’ve worked for two different Fortune 500 pharmaceutical companies in R&D and I’m looking to continue my career along this path.”. You never want to sound like someone else pushed you into a career. After all, self-help books and gurus generally don't advise people to become social workers to find self-enlightenment. But a job interview isn’t the time to figure it out. As evident as this may seem, helping to change lives is one of … Amber sought social work … This sense that you are making a real difference is one of the reasons why social workers continue careers that are otherwise challenging. Expert resources on social work careers and education options. So it might come as a surprise when these professionals realize that their jobs can help them develop and grow, too. Social work can be a rewarding field, especially if you enjoy helping others. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site. So you DO need to seem like this is a career that you care about it and want to be in. You just can’t seem like you’re miserable or have no interest whatsoever. As a social worker, you interact with your community by providing its members with access to resources, referrals to other professionals and by counseling individuals and families. I didn’t end up doing it, but this would have been a great story to tell – it shows you performed well in your academic studies and earned the confidence of your professor. In other words, social workers touch on key social justice issues, such as poverty, disability, inequality, and child abuse. Finally, is the range of opportunities for a social worker in the field of social work. Did you fall in love with the topic after an introductory course in college? People pursue social work careers because they want to help others. Show you’re still glad to be doing it! According to the National Association of Social Workers, social workers might find themselves … But you DO NOT need to seem like you’re obsessed with it. That way, you’ll be more comfortable and confident when answering. It’s best to tell the truth when answering interview questions about why you chose this job, why you’re passionate about this career, etc. Always prepare a real answer ahead of time. Earlier in this article, I gave you 8 good examples of reasons for choosing your career. But the growth that social workers experience develops from the job's challenges. If you’re working as a lab scientist they’ll be curious how you got into it. We asked our members why they became a social worker and here are some of the responses we received. I chose to major in Biology in college and now that I’ve graduated, it’s still what I’m most excited about and interested in doing professionally.”. That will put the hiring manager’s mind at ease that you’re still motivated to do the work, and that you’ll be a big success if they hire you. "Social workers are the trusted professionals who can support, guide and assist individuals, families and communities during times of need. The social work field offers many chances for employment in several different areas, according to Sterling Woods, a psychiatric social worker at the George J. Otlowski Sr. Center for Mental Health Care in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. This last reason for why you chose this job or career is pretty open-ended. "We can do micro-, mezzo-, or macro-level work. So if none of the sample reasons above are true, you can come up with your own.