Keywords: Apple Pie, Mama's Apple Pie, Mom's, homemade, made from scratch, granny smith, golden delicious, easy. Fit the pie crust into a 10-inch deep dish pie plate. What temperature do I set the oven to originally? Buy yourself a box of tapioca and put 2 tablespoons of tapioca in every fruit pie you make! 2 Tablespoons Milk, for wash on top crust. Hang in there, cooler temps are just around the corner, then we’ll be begging for summer days again. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you add your name to our list. https://www.southernladymagazine.com/skillet-apple-walnut-crumble-pie Perhaps one of our readers might be able to help. Trim off the excess dough from around the edges. Hi Sally! Start with my go-to pie crust. Yummy yummy What a fantastic recipe. Thank you for the question. Set this aside for now. You can warm up individual slices of pie in the microwave or if you are warming up the entire pie just place it in a warm oven until it reaches your desired temperature. Happy 4th of July everyone! Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place in cold water to prevent browning. 1 Golden Delicious Apple, peeled, cored, thinly sliced Make the crumble topping: In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and walnuts. I’ll let you know how it works out. Hahahaha?!?! To freeze an unbaked apple crumble pie, place it in a freezer-safe and oven proof pan wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil. We’ve just had our first nights of temperatures dropping into the mid-fifties here in the heart of North Carolina this past week. My family loves it so much. While apple pie is my favorite dessert, crumble toppings are my favorite. Directions. What really makes it stand out are all of the toasty walnuts. Homemade Apple Pie Recipe – You’ll need these ingredients. Have you tried our Mama’s Homemade Apple Pie? While you’re here, be sure to sign up for our totally FREE NEWSLETTER. Wondering if I could use this recipe to make just an apple crumble, not an apple crumble pie. Making this apple pie from scratch, I used oats to prepare the crust and for the crumble on top and apples, cinnamon and coconut oil for the filling. The main difference between the two is the topping. Can’t you please, just this once, print up a recipe without the extra added benefit of photos? -Steve, Hi Steve Place the drained apples in the bowl with the sugar mixture. Thank you so much for this recipe. Make sure you get apples out to the edges and pile it up fairly high in the center. He used his pocket knife, and could almost always get all the peeling off in one long length. Hello from Italy! I’d love to have a cookbook one day, it’s long been a dream of mine as well. Let the pie bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes, then lightly place a sheet of aluminum foil over the entire top of the pie. The side of crust turns out well – flaky and buttery. I love apple crumble recipes so when I found this one I just had to share it with you When it comes to using up apples, apple crumble is your best friend. I hope you’ll do it today. I also appreciate all of your support and your visits. Cover pie leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I’ll send you an Email every once in awhile to remind you when I post a new recipe, or when anything else of importance is going on around Taste of Southern. 2 Sheets of pie crust dough Adjust it accordingly to make the recipe your own. Hi Nini, Yes you can make a smaller version. The flavors of apple and warm spices in the pie filling make it perfect for fall. Rinse the apples under cold running water. Set aside. I just know y’all are going to love this.. and love how easy it is! I love a good turnover as well. When finished slicing, pour apples into a colander to drain while you prepare dough. Steve. I’ve set the pie plate on a baking sheet to catch any spills that might occur while the pie is baking. Thanks Sally!!! Twist the knife slightly to open the vents up. (You don’t need to pre-bake it here.). I wonder if I could use oatmeal instead of all purpose flour? You’ll never end up with a pie floating in juice. Thank you!! ★☆ That should work just fine. Spread apples into the pie plate. Thanks- Sally! Ready to bake up an All American favorite? C. Hi Cheryl, Sounds like Grandma knew what she was doing from the get-go. After the first 20 minutes of bake time, I place a. Again, do not sprinkle sugar on the edges. Our most trusted Southern Crumble Apple Pie recipes. ★☆. 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour Do you have another crumb topping receipe for those of us unfortunate enough to be allergic to nuts? Decorate the edges as desired. Cool, huh? Cut slits in top of dough to vent the pie as it bakes. I hope you’ll visit with us again… real soon. Butter the inside bottom and edges of your pie plate. It’s the perfect quick and easy dessert recipe. I never tried homemade apple pie with crumble topping. Hi Elisa, I’m so happy the peach pie was a hit! The crumble is easy to make and this pie has lots of crumble topping! Fold the edges of the top sheet of dough under the bottom sheet. ← Pie crust recipe, video, step-by-step photos, and tips included! Slice the apples into small wedges and remove the center core. Use our recipe for Basic Pie Crust dough to make the bottom and top crusts. Do you have any recommendations on re-heating the pie just a bit so the icecream melts on top? However, next time I’ll blind-bake the crust first, as it was too hard and not baked under all the filling. Be Blessed!!! In a medium bowl add the 1 cup flour and 1 cup brown sugar together and stir. I use to enjoy watching my Daddy peel an apple. When it cools down hopefully, I’ll be making some of those pies very soon. Not my thing – I think I still prefer the double crusted variety. Daddy would buy several bushels and several different varieties of apples to resell in his produce stand. Perfect! Cut in 1/2 cup butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture is blended and resembles coarse crumbs. Hi Sally, Would pecans work as a substitute for walnuts for this recipe? Cover top lightly with aluminum foil to prevent over browning. Have a safe and celebratory holiday filled with fireworks, food, friends, family, and a second serving of pie. I would use pecans, but either would work! Yum! Trim … Not gonna lie here, this healthy homemade apple crumble pie is pretty much the same like my apple crumble mini pies from a few years ago, but it looks like their parent. Pour into prepared pan, and top with cookie mixture. The signup box is below and you’ll also find one in the top right hand corner of each page. Apple crisps come in a variety of forms, and with these amazing recipes, you’ll see the crisp like never before. Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced I really love your sight. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch round. Like a 6 inch version? Very, very simple. you are my go to baker for all things baking. I am trying your Banana Cream, Pie next. You can use just about any kind of apple a crisp and tart apple work better than sweeter varieties…. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; continue baking until juices are thick and bubbly, Crust is golden brown, and apples are tender when pierced with a long wooden … Some folks don’t like the taste of nutmeg. I really love apple pie! To freeze a baked apple crumble pie (or leftovers), place the room temperature pie uncovered in the freezer for a couple of hours, or until frozen solid, then wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Add sliced apples to the dry ingredients. You might also like this: Peach Delight Cobbler, Or, maybe this:  Mama’s Fresh Coconut Cake, Tags: apple pie, baking, desserts, golden delicious, granny smith, homemade apple pie, made from scratch, mama's apple pie, southern, Steve Gordon, Taste of Southern. I’ll let these drain while I roll out my pie dough. All we ever had was store bought. Let’s dive into this recipe! Peel the apples. Once those North Carolina mountain apples started being picked, some fellow would show up with a truck loaded down with bushels of freshly picked apples. Lightly butter the inside of your pie plate. You could leave it out if you prefer. Set aside. Place the dough in your pie plate and adjust it as needed. Great recipes by the way! Add Nutmeg. My goal is to give you the confidence and knowledge to cook and bake from scratch while providing quality recipes and plenty of pictures. Scrape mixture into pie … That means it’s time for some good old homemade Apple Pie. The crumble topping is so good and easy!! Make sure you get apples out to the edges and pile it up fairly high in the center. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). If you notice the topping starts to brown too early, place a small square of foil over the middle.