Orange zest is the color part of the orange peel. Share. Use orange zest in recipes for a delicious, fresh tangy hit – they’re great in … Ashley--I always enjoy writing about something specific like orange zest because I learn new things. The bonus to this type of zester is the Channel Knife. It’s so versatile. Orange zest may be used in recipes or my kids add fresh zest to yogurt even. Make an Eco-Friendly Cleaner. Thank you for sharing this cool information. Lol! Cut out the complicated! Donna Caprio Quinlan from Newburyport, MA on February 16, 2014: Great information on using orange zest. They knew oranges prevented scurvy on voyages. The zest is not as fine in texture. Today I’m sharing a full breakdown of what it is, how to zest an orange (or any citrus fruits), my favorite tools and a bonus! Polish stainless steel. I encourage you to join us if you are interested! Zest is strips of the colored part of orange peel that you make with a special tool called a microplaner, a grater, or a small knife. It’s also perfect decoration on top of prepared sweet or savory recipes. Spread it out so that the pieces don't clump. Add it to jams or jellies. Make lemon-pepper seasoning at home so you don’t have to pay for the exorbitant prices of branded stuff. The colored part of the rind is less bitter than the white. Orange zest adds even more of the fruit’s flavor to a dish. One of the most common uses for an orange peel is for its zest, which is popular both fresh and dried. VioletteRose from Atlanta on February 03, 2014: This is very useful information, thank you! This type of zester usually has 5 small holes in a metal tool that is pulled across the citrus fruit to create strings of zest (refer to top title image). A microplane-style zester has a long narrow metal piece covered with tiny holes with a small blade in each, attached to a handle. It’s great in salad dressings like our Citrus Salad Dressing, or baked goods like Orange & Fennel Cake. Usually the same microplane can be used for grating cheese and other items as well. A little bit of citrus zest goes a … There is nothing better than the smell of orange zest! Absolutely a must have, this is a winner! Sprinkle it on salads or to add flavor to soups. Voted up. It’s a perfect type of zester to quickly grate zest into a recipe. Here are some facts to know: For each question, choose the best answer. Flavor so much more intense and fresh! I add it to a lot of my recipes. You need to be careful to add it lightly because too much can make your recipe bitter. If you do have an essential oil that is food grade, you could possibly substitute it for orange zest but it really wouldn't have quite the same taste in most recipes because the zest adds texture as well as flavor and smell. Aids Diabetes Treatment. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange into about 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Put some in a small fancy jar with a ribbon on top and you have a very nice gift! The zest can be dried overnight and then stored in airtight bottles for future use. Orange Zest Awakening Mints 100mg 20-pack by Dixie Brands Skip to Reviews. Alternatively, use a dehydrator. STEP 1: Place half the orange into the juicer with the curved sides touching (what looks like the ‘normal way’); photo 1. There’s more to orange zest than meets the eye but now you know it all! Always start with a rinsed/clean, dry orange. Very useful when it comes to cooking. Be the first to rate this post. Salad. I’m Toni. It would definitely by fun to use zest more often in desserts. Cynthia B Turner from Georgia on August 17, 2012: Great instructions. Wow you shared so much information about orange zest. I have a zester and have never quite known where to stop with the zesting. Recipes like Slow Cooker Caribbean Pot Roast are enhanced and made more interesting by adding the citrus flavor from orange zest. LOVE how much flavour zest adds to just about anything . Travel. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Such amazing ideas! Thanks! 2. Her seasonal recipes bring excitement to the dining table for both gluten-free and gluten diners. I always have to use my grater to get some zest but that is about to change–finally!! Voted up and everything but useful, and shared. St. Nicholas Eve {December 5}: Put Your Shoes Out! !these are great tips and I love your zester.! I have done this with lemon..now I will try orange. Zest the orange over the sugar to catch as much of … When you need orange flavor, your best choice is fresh zest or juice. Dried and Candied Zest . The complete explanations made it easy to follow. Your email address will not be published. The zest is the outer part of the orange peel and can be scraped or shaved from the fruit with the use of a zester, a cheese grater or a sharp knife. 3. Welcome! What Is Orange Zest? Once the bars cook and cool the filling is like a nice thick orange … Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on August 02, 2012: Thanks Carol--I had not realized until I researched the Hub how zest can be used in place of extract and juice. Savory Recipes. Or dry your n the oven and store indefinitely. Why not use the whole orange. You might see recipes that call for fresh, dried, or candied zest and each has a specific use in cooking and baking. I have a zester that I use, but mostly just for lemon zest. There are many types of zesters and in my opinion, it’s worth having as part of your kitchen arsenal. Thanks for the tips! Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on August 21, 2012: Thanks prairieprincess--you know since I've done this Hub I'm using orange zest more too! Sauces. I LOVE orange zest and had no idea there were so many ways to get it and uses for it!