Perhaps the most delicious thing I have ever eaten! I had to cook the potatoes for probably 20 min, but otherwise we stuck to the recipe and I highly recommend. Mexican Chicken, Sweet Potato And Black Bean Skillet Edit. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts - chicken thighs work too. Add the zucchini, red chili peppers and chipotle peppers and saute for 3 minutes. I add ground turkey to the recipe for protein. My name is Olena Osipov. My family absolutely loved this recipe!! Garnish with cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice. I can see what you mean about avocado. It was so good!! My kids are not fans of sweet potatoes but even they loved this dinner. This is a great dish-a mix of chopping and using what’s on hand. Place the sweet potato slices in a saucepan and cover with water. :) So happy your family enjoyed my skillet sweet potatoes.:). This is the brand of chorizo we’ve been buying at the store. If you feel like adding any protein over it you sure can add some sauteed or grilled chicken cubes to the toppings. My family loves it. When my 15 year old son walked in and saw all the veggies he whined and told me how no one was going to eat or enjoy dinner tonight. I am a vegetarian and this had all ingredients that I love. This will be one of my regular meals. If it is ground meat, cook first breaking into small pieces and then follow the recipe. I am happy that you have a new favorite vegetarian meal! Tacos – Use it as taco or burrito filling. To die for healthy vegetarian dinner! Follow @ifoodreal on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #ifoodreal. Sauté the chicken for approximately 3 … Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey as it cooks. Thanks for sharing . Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. It’s great cold too! A quick note that you’ll want to use a skillet that has enough room … Glad you enjoyed the recipe, Ashley! https://irenamacri.com/recipes/chorizo-sweet-potato-egg-skillet Once hot, add in ground turkey, … Your food looks as delicious as it is. I served it over tortilla chips like nachos, and my whole family loved it. When the skillet is hot add in the chicken and spread into an even layer, then sprinkle with half of the spice blend. I’ve been making this about every other week since I happened upon this recipe. I am making this tonight, it already smells delicious! The taste – fresh. Fantastic. This can be made into a Mexican Sweet Potato Skillet. Really yummy!! Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. I’m so excited to have found a great meal to make for my vegetarian friends when they come over. FYI for future recipes. Definitely helps in chopping vegetables faster. I added chicken to mine for protein. This was a double bonus. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. This is DELICIOUS! Originally from Ukraine, I now reside on magic Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada with my family. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. . So, so good. What other veggies would go well ? The sweet potato tex mex was the first that I made, and it was delicious. He was the first one to tell me how good dinner was and he had two helpings! Next, add … Microwave for 3-5 minutes depending on the size or until the sweet potato is tender, but not fully cooked. I put the avocado, cilantro and green onion on each serving, instead of the whole skillet, since this leaves so much leftovers to be reheated and avocado starts to brown pretty quickly. Dairy Free. I like different ideas. Top this heálthy dinner with shredded cheese ánd cilántro for á fást ánd delicious Mexicán inspired meál! Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise and place on a plate with 1-2 tablespoons of water. The only question I have, is what do you usually boil for 15 minutes? Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until cheese has melted. A great recipe for a delicious and easy weeknight meal.. thanks for sharing it! My family has a fried egg on top of theirs. This was absolutely phenomenal! I ate four. SO fantastic!!! Prep Time: 15 Minutes. Definitely going in the dinner rotation. Katie . Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe. The information on this website is for educational purposes only. So easy. Hi Nicole. I added cubed chicken and we ate it over rice, with chips, or in a tortilla. even as it’s simmering? It is such a beautifully textured dish!! I also added some shredded sharp cheese on top. Boy was he wrong! I did add a package of quinoa and brown rice because I needed to add some texture. Turn off heat. Couldn’t quit saying how delicious it was. Magnifico!! Add the sweet potatoes to a large skillet over heat that’s just a touch above medium with 1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil then saute until the potatoes are just starting to turn tender, 3-5 minutes.Add 6oz Mexican Pork Chorizo then turn the heat up slightly and saute until cooked through.. With spiralized sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, tortillas and a homemade enchilada sauce, this sweet potato skillet is a healthy way to satisfy your enchilada craving. Mexican Honey-Lime Chicken Sweet Potato And Black Bean Skillet: 4 servings, 40 minutes prep time, 2 user reviews. Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Skins. We are trying to eat healthy and this was the heartiest, tasteful meal we have had in a long time!! Thank you for the wonderful review! Wow. Delicious and now that I’ve made it I can speed up the process. As an adult, I tried many diets without results. Quick and easy 30 minute Skillet Sweet Potatoes with beans, corn, fresh lime juice and melted cheese on top. It was delicious. Inexpensive. You don’t feel like this is the “no meat” meal. Quick and easy 30 Minute Skillet Sweet Potatoes with beans, corn, fresh lime juice and melted cheese on top. Then topped with cheese until melted. Cook the potatoes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. I bet you didn’t even know this little secret since I really don’t share a lot of Mexican recipes here but there are 3 must-have recipes in my mind: tortilla chip pizza, pork carnitas and pico de gallo.The pork carnitas I recently made into chicken carnitas to serve to Maddie’s cross-country team. A nutritious grain free meal ready in under 30 minutes! With diced canned tomatoes and tomato paste. My family absolutely loved this. Thank you! You can prepare the rest of the recipe as the quinoa is soaking. I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Courtney! I added 1/2 cup of water and then it worked well. Hi Tonya, I do not recommend freezing this dish. Sprinkle with cheese, cover … do you leave the skillet uncovered the whole time? Thanks for the wonderful feedback! I make this every week for lunch for my fiancé and me. It’s full of sweet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, peppers, onions, and sausage. This was amazing! Serve immediately over brown rice if desired and sprinkle with Queso Fresco if desired. Serve hot with Greek yogurt and salsa if desired. Google your particular brand. I like my sweet potatoes crispy so I adjusted the time, I also cooked the onions longer and held off on the garlic until about a minute before I put the canned veggies in. Add the cubes of sweet potato and stir to coat thoroughly. Ohhh..that was a quick answer! Need some recovery food after a tough WOD day? The first time we made this we had some leftover buffalo ground chicken from some tacos. Get directions, 390 calories, nutrition info & more for thousands of healthy recipes. I have made this dish several times. Be healthy!!! To par-cook a sweet potato, cut it in half lengthwise and place it in a shallow microwave safe dish or bowl cut side down. I can’t wait to make it with corn as well. Even my husband liked it. I mean, could there be anything better than having a delicious Mexican-inspired meal that is loaded with healthy vegetables, protein-rich beans, and sweet corn? Made my day . thanks! Peel and dice the sweet potato into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes (size matters, make them small). Allow to cool slightly before peeling and dicing. Add avocado, green onion, cilantro, lime juice and stir. Great idea to make them into tacos . I ended up throwing in a chopped zucchini with the peppers and onions and it worked great. I’ll be making it for years to come. Turn off heat. Thanks for your support! Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, about 8 minutes. As is – Since this skillet recipe contains both protein and carbs, it’s actually quite satisfying to serve on it’s own. We really enjoyed it. Once cool enough to handle, peel away skin from sweet potato then dice and set aside. I didn’t have Mexican cheese blend, so I used sharp white cheddar and it was fantastic. Do you have a sharp chef’s knife? Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Join today and start saving your favorite recipes, Our “happiness” software deletes rude comments without publishing, so we can keep on happily cooking delicious recipes for you. https://showmetheyummy.com/mexican-sweet-potato-cheese-fries-recipe What cookware did you broil in? Thanks again for posting this. This turkey sweet potato skillet is a healthy way to repurpose leftover turkey (or chicken) with sweet potatoes, black beans, peppers, greens and onions. You’ve probably figured out that I eat a lot of sweet potatoes. Hi Olena, I love your recipes, website, and videos! You can browse my collection of casseroles here. Add sweet potato noodles, sweet corn, onion, garlic, beans, and sweet pepper to skillet. Pierce sweet potato all over with a fork or sharp knife then microwave for 2 minutes. Thanks for the great recipe :). Tip: You can add some cubed chicken, cut up sausage or ground turkey. Thank you for the wonderful review! My husband kept raving about how good it was, and wants me to make it again but to add some chicken sausage or ground turkey to the mix. I couldn’t get exact points because it didn’t give the saturated fat but maybe that’s for the best. It will result in a very watery dish once it is thawed. I also tossed in a few slices of fresh jalapeño as garnish. Cook 5-7 minutes or until chicken is browned on all sides. Bake sweet potato fries on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet according to package directions. Add chicken, onion, garlic, chili powder & cumin. Thank you for a delicious recipe that will now go in my go to meals. Return sweet potato mixture to skillet once chicken is cooked through, along with tomatoes and avocado. Add sweet potatoes and shallots then saute for 4-5 minutes, or until potatoes are just starting to turn tender. Thank you! Oh well. Why is it Mexican? This is a GREAT RECIPE! Cook it in the skillet first and then proceed with the recipe. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. I would love to get one. This site uses cookies to help provide the best user experience. I started this blog in 2012 when I ended up at home with 2 small kids unemployed and a wee bit chubby. Glad you enjoyed, Aimee.:). It’s hearty, filling, and a delicious recipe to serve for a weekend breakfast or brunch. You could add some ground turkey, diced chicken breast or tofu for extra protein. It has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease. This page may contain affiliate links. You are very welcome, Andrew. How to Make One-Pot Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Sweet Potato Skillet: Add the dry quinoa to a saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. So happy to hear! Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey. sweet potatoes– make sure you cut them small- 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes; prep ahead– while you can chop the chicken, bell peppers & onion ahead and measure out the spices, it’s best to chop the sweet potatoes fresh so they don’t harden; leftovers– you can also use this recipe for meal prep by cooking ahead and reheating through the week. , Nikki! Simply heat some olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the onion for about 5 minutes. It was delicious. Top with cilantro, sour cream and pico de gallo. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the rice. Hi Karen! Soooooooooo good!!! This is what I like to call a double duty meal. I can’t wait to try the thai salmon recipe and the porcupine meatballs. I grab a bowl and get all ingredients from the fridge, freezer and pantry, move to the sink and then chop. Leftovers are even better, that is true. Family loved it! Cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave for 3-4 minutes, careful to soften rather than cook. https://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/recipe/sweet-potato-recipe If you're like me and love Mexican food but are looking for something on the healthier side, then this sweet potato enchilada skillet … Add the onions and yellow peppers, and cook until the onions are soft. Stir in bell peppers, jalapenos, and cooked sweet potatoes into skillet. It’s too many veggies and thawed dish will be too watery. Stir together and cook until the mixture is heated through, approximately 2-3 minutes. It’s a beautiful looking dish. Although not the most photogenic but we will let that slide. Leftovers – plenty. Have a great weekend Trish! I’ll be making this one again, it was a hit with hubby (a huge fan of Mexican food). https://reciperunner.com/mexican-chicken-sweet-potato-black-bean-skillet Reheats well! In the past I have often made my roasted sweet potato cubes/wedges/fries with just a couple of spices – maybe some paprika or some cumin. This was a really nice dish! I just now made this and it was really good. My husband is 99.9% carnivore and swore he wouldn’t eat this recipe. We had this for dinner last night with some cilantro-lime Jasmine rice. Thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to let me know you enjoyed my recipe, Emily. Thanks so much for this fantastic recipe! If you're like me and love Mexican food but are looking for something on the healthier side, then this sweet potato enchilada skillet will do the trick! Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. It was favorable, full of veggies, I added chopped chicken breast and tried various topping. It helps keep iFOODreal recipes free. I can help you with “What’s for dinner?” too. I didn’t have fresh lime or cilantro, but I had a can of rotel tomatoes with lime and cilantro so I substituted that. Add the olive oil and sweet potatoes, spreading the cubes evenly on the pan. Didn’t need salsa but we definitely enjoyed the cilantro, onions, cheese, yogurt and avocado on top! Ingredients 2 tsp Olive Oil 1lb Chicken Breast, cut into s So glad that this ended up being a hit with your son! Sauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened about half way through (they'll cook more later). So many veggies everywhere! Thanks so much ? Sweet potatoes are delicious but they tend to take a bit more time than your average tubber to cook. Black beans - added protein. I wold not do this on a weeknight. The toppings help with the overall taste. Add sweet potatoes, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt - enhances the flavor. I was skeptical about some of the ingredients but this turned out so delicious! Great recipe! While fries are cooking, make the turkey taco meat. I made a huge mistake because I roasted the sweet potatoes first. Use less salt if your canned beans or tomatoes are not low sodium. Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning and then brown the chicken on each side, … We have added leftover rotisserie chicken or ground turkey, but it really is great on it’s own.I like have a meatless dish at least once a week so this is regularly in rotation. My husband raved that it was one of the best things that I have ever made. We are working on producing more videos and I’m testing new recipes all the time. Hi! Now for over 10 years, I cook quick and easy healthy meals for my family. Hopefully it will give you some inspiration. https://www.melskitchencafe.com/mexican-chicken-sweet-potato-skillet-meal Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. So tasty. We loved this! Top with cheese and cilantro for a healthy Mexican inspired meal! Set aside to cool. I will add that. Serve Tex Mex skillet hot with Greek yogurt and salsa if desired. In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil. This 20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet is such a winner, and is packed with vibrant flavors that will having you returning to it again and again. This really really was good. That’s where this sweet potato breakfast skillet comes in. This Mexican chicken, sweet potato, and black bean skillet was a simple one pot meal that turned out to be delicious. I know, for 4 of us we make a lot of food haha. Pour a 1/4 cup of water in the dish, cover the dish with a piece of plastic wrap and poke a couple of holes in the top of the plastic to allow the steam to escape. Flip then microwave for 2 more minutes. A really delicious recipe. We love it. Breakfast can be a struggle when you have food allergies, especially if you have an egg allergy. Glad you enjoyed the recipe. I love all your recipes. Add the sweet potato and saute 3 … Yields : 4 servings When the sweet potato rice skillet is cooked, top it with the fried egg, sprinkle with cotija and serve. Made a recipe? Lower the heat to medium and add in the remaining spice blend, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, black beans, green chiles and salsa or enchilada sauce. Hello! I’ll make it again. This Mexican sweet potato quinoa casserole is one of our favorite go-to recipes because it is packed with all of our favorite things! Once the oil is hot, add potatoes. You don’t drain diced tomatoes and boil with that liquid. I love this recipe so happy to find it I’m going in and making it for the third time tonight! Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge. Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Thank you! As an adult, I tried many diets without results. I am using 12 inch ceramic non-stick wok aka deep skillet. In a cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. It comes out a bit spicey but delicious. Oh yes! Yes, good idea. Followed it exactly. I havent tried to freeze it but I think someone did. You must really love it!!! Or you can just skip bell pepper. All veggie dishes require prep for sure. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees In a large (at least 12-inch, deep) skillet, melt the butter on medium heat and then raise the heat to medium high and add the onion, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, South of My Border Mexican Blend or other spices, and the potatoes and sauté for about 5 … Hi Kerri. Heat up the olive oil in a skillet and add your onions and red pepper. I love this recipe! Pour a 1/4 cup of water in the dish, cover the dish with a piece of plastic wrap and poke a couple of holes in the top of the plastic to allow the steam to escape. Instructions. Sauté the sweet potato cubes in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened about half way through (they'll cook more later). Yum yum. Delicious! And even my husband says its delicious. So great to hear that your family all loved this. Drain the water and set aside until ready to use.